http://greengateleadership.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/massppeal-1.jpg 334 600 Ken Dolan-Del Vecchio http://greengateleadership.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Ken-Dolan2-1-1.png Ken Dolan-Del Vecchio2019-11-12 19:15:032020-04-01 16:13:37The Importance of Having a Purpose
The Importance of Having a Purpose
The Importance of Having a Purpose*
- What’s your purpose?
- If you can answer this question, there’s a growing body of research showing that you will likely:
- Live longer.
- Sleep better and feel more relaxed when you’re awake.
- Reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s disease by more than 50%.
- Enjoy better overall health.
- Have more friends.
- Feel happier and more content.
- Feel more engaged in life.
- These benefits come with living a purpose that goes beyond self-interest. Some examples:
- To be a caring parent and partner, and treat everyone with kindness and respect.
- To make people smile and help them have fun.
- To share information that helps people live healthier and more satisfying lives.
- To end homelessness in my community.
- To provide fresh, organic food for my customers.
- To help survivors of abuse thrive.
- To bring more health, sanity, and justice into the world.
- We can identify our purpose by asking ourselves questions such as:
- What are my most important values?
- What life goals matter most to me?
- How would I like to be remembered when I’m gone? What would I like people to say about me when they describe what I meant to them?
- Purposeful living requires energy & focus. These are fueled by healthy living habits:
- Getting enough rest.
- Staying in the present moment.
- Activity (exercise/movement).
- Eating well.
- It can help us stay on track by regularly stating our purpose out loud to ourselves and/or writing it down and posting it (some people write their purpose on a post-it note and stick it on their bathroom mirror).
- It also helps to let other people know our purpose. This provides a gentle kind of accountability.
- We can expect our purpose to change over time.
- For parents, sharing our purpose with our child and helping them identify their own can be among the most important gifts that we give them.
*Much of this information comes from Life On Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything by Victor Strecher.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!